Atlanta Urban Design Commission Award of Excellence 2015
Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation Excellence in Rehabilitation 2015
National Trust for Historic Preservation No.2 of Top Ten Saves 2014
Located on 145 Auburn Ave, The Daily World Building was a home to Atlanta's oldest African-American-owned daily newspaper. In 2008 the building was heavily damaged by a tornado, and the newspaper moved to a new site in East Point. The building continued a slow decline through 2012 when plans were announced to sell the site and demolish the structure. The Historic District Development Corporation, whose mission is preservation in the Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic District, launched an online petition to save the building.
Finally purchased in January of 2014 by a group of preservation inclined real estate partners, the building and grounds are now listed on the National Historic Register, with complete renovation commencing late summer. Retail/Office space will occupy the sidewalk level, directly on Atlanta's new street car route, with residences above.
Real estate developer and Sidewalk Radio host, Gene Kansas, who purchased the building in January this year says that it is a project with great potential and he is intending to bring it back to its former vibrancy.
photos of prior to renovation credit: Artem Nazarov
A 1911 structure built as a baptist tabernacle serves today as a 2,600-seat performance venue. The work on this historic building includes ongoing improvements since 2006, as well as the renovation after damage caused by the March 2008 tornado.
Adaptive Reuse of a Historic Atlanta Hotel constructed in 1924 as the Bonaventure Arms Apartments. Located along a popular trolley car line, the apartment building embodied a transition underway in the Poncey-Highland area at that time from single-family suburban homes. It was constructed near the newly developed Ford Motor Assembly Plant, built in 1916, and was followed by the massive Sears Roebuck Building in 1926.
In 1939, the apartment building was converted to a hotel. A 1958 document indicates the hotel had 100 rooms and 33 efficiency and one-bedroom furnished apartments. As of April 2009, there were 22 rooms and apartments on each of the second through the fifth floors, for a total of 114 rooms.
The hotel will be renovated for use as a boutique hotel with 98 rooms, a gracious lobby and bar, and meeting space. The street front will be redesigned to include an entry plaza with a circular driveway for guest arrivals and valet drop-off . Amenities will include a restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating to serve hotel patrons and neighborhood residents, and a rooftop bar with a stunning view of the surrounding neighborhoods and the Midtown skyline. Historic signage will also be preserved.
The Mellen Parts Company building is a modern, mid-century auto garage. Partnership of of Gamble + Gamble and EpiCity proposes renovation to create office and work studios along with a restaurant space and rooftop deck overlooking the Midtown and Downtown skylines.