Ray Ellis & LaBrie, Historic Preservation Consultant
Atlanta Preservation Center Keystone Award 2018
Atlanta Magazine Groundbreakers Award 2017
Hotel Clermont is an adaptive reuse of a historic Atlanta hotel constructed in 1924 as the Bonaventure Arms Apartments. Located along a trolley car line, the apartment building embodied the transition from dense urban city centers towards suburban development made possible by the growing popularity of the automobile.
It was constructed near the newly developed Ford Motor Assembly Plant, built in 1916, and was followed in 1926 by the massive Sears Roebuck Building now known as Ponce City Market. In 1939, the apartment building was converted to a hotel. A 1958 document indicates the hotel had 100 rooms and 33 efficiency and one-bedroom furnished apartments. The building was eventually closed in 2009 after many years of decline.
Hotel Clermont has been renovated and reopened for use as a boutique hotel with 94 guestrooms, a gracious lobby bar and cafe. Amenities include a restaurant to serve hotel patrons and neighborhood residents, as well as a rooftop bar with a stunning view of the surrounding neighborhoods and the Midtown skyline. Although outside the scope of this project, great care was taken to ensure the continuous operation of the Clermont Lounge, a famous Atlanta landmark operated in the basement of the building.
The historic preservation effort included window replacement and the restoration of the exterior brick and historic signage. Extensive interior work included restoration of interior terrazzo, plaster and trim. Structural repairs and rehabilitation of the central grand staircase were required to meet current building codes. Due to these efforts, the building is a candidate for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.
Atlanta Urban Design Commission Award of Excellence 2015
Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation Excellence in Rehabilitation 2015
National Trust for Historic Preservation No.2 of Top Ten Saves 2014
Located on 145 Auburn Ave, The Daily World Building was a home to Atlanta's oldest African-American-owned daily newspaper. In 2008 the building was heavily damaged by a tornado, and the newspaper moved to a new site in East Point. The building continued a slow decline through 2012 when plans were announced to sell the site and demolish the structure. The Historic District Development Corporation, whose mission is preservation in the Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic District, launched an online petition to save the building.
Finally purchased in January of 2014 by a group of preservation inclined real estate partners, the building and grounds are now listed on the National Historic Register, with complete renovation commencing late summer. Retail/Office space will occupy the sidewalk level, directly on Atlanta's new street car route, with residences above.
Real estate developer and Sidewalk Radio host, Gene Kansas, who purchased the building in January this year says that it is a project with great potential and he is intending to bring it back to its former vibrancy.
photos of prior to renovation credit: Artem Nazarov
A 1911 structure built as a baptist tabernacle serves today as a 2,600-seat performance venue. The work on this historic building includes ongoing improvements since 2006, as well as the renovation after damage caused by the March 2008 tornado.
The "T" at Riverfront
The “T” at Riverfront is an apartment tower overlooking the Tennessee River in Downtown Knoxville, TN. Adjacent to the Henley Bridge, the south gateway to Downtown, the site offers a dramatic 65-foot change in topography with spectacular 360 degrees views. At 26 stories, it will be the second tallest building Downtown. With the project’s proximity to University of Tennessee, this residential tower is being designed to attract student population.
The biggest challenge with this project was developing a design that could transform an old Pizza Hut into something completely new while creating a space that captured the Texas BBQ vibe the client envisioned. The smoke house and chopping table are both featured as part of the theatre of BBQ experience. The food is amazing so we knew our design needed to be too!
Ivy Creek Greenway
Gwinnett County Government created a nature trail, Ivy Creek Greenway, as part of the Gwinnett Environmental and Heritage Center. G+G provided full architectural services for the comfort station located on the trail, understanding not only that the remote location required a durable, low maintenance structure, but also that close attention to tectonics and construction details can be used to state that beauty can be found in ordinary objects and utilitarian architecture. Natural materials and earthy tones allow the building to blend well into the beauty of the tranquil setting. The usage of Kalwall light transmitting panels allows for ample daylighting and reduces the need for artificial light.
Working with an existing space and specific programmatic needs, in this case, meant doing a lot with just a little square footage. The result for Sweet Charlie’s is a bright, clean, and welcoming space accented by white washed wood siding and pops of ice cream art. Both the client and contractor were a pleasure to collaborate with on this project, so the quickness with which the design phase, permitting, and construction were completed was made all the more satisfying.
Sea Palms Resort
We worked with Valor Hospitality Partners to refresh this island classic. Enhancements to all public areas include a new restaurant and bar, along with reception, meeting rooms, pool cabanas and a new fitness center.
The Pursell Family has been in the business of growing for more than 100 years. Their story begins in 1904 with the founding of the Sylacauga Fertilizer Company. By the end of the 20th century, the company, Pursell Technologies, had developed innovative technology that revolutionized the agronomy industry. The company had also moved to scenic Pursell Farms.
On the farm, David Pursell, the third generation of family leadership, had a visionary idea: to invite the product’s end users (golf superintendents) to see the product firsthand. To achieve this, the family built FarmLinks in 2002 as “the world’s only research and demonstration golf course.” Today, Pursell Farms has evolved into a premier regional family farm resort available for retreats, leisure getaways and weddings. Gamble and Gamble, along with Valor Hospitality and HGOR Land Planning, are working collectively on a series of new buildings and places that will transform Pursell Farms into a truly legendary guest experience.